6.11.2012

Present Progressive AR

Now we’ll take it one step farther so you can learn how to say phrases like “I am living” and “She is eating”. All you have to do is conjugate a form of the verb “estar”, then add the “ing” ending on the verbs.
First, let’s review the forms of estar:
Yo estoy
Nosotros estamos
As I mentioned before, after choosing the correct form of “estar”, you simply add “ando” on the end of “ar” verbs and “iendo” on the end of “er” and “ir” verbs.

Tú estás
Vosotros estáis (Remember, this is only used in Spain)
El, Ella, or Ud. está
And finally, ellos, ellas or Uds. Están

Take a look at a few examples of doing verbs:
The phrase “I am eating” would be “Estoy comiendo”.
“She is studying” would be “Está estudiando”
“They are dancing” would be “Están bailando”
“We are preparing” would be “Estamos preparando”
“I am writing” would be “Estoy escribiendo”
And finally, “Juan, you are eating lunch” would be “(Juan) Estás almorzando”.
Now a key to the “progressive tense” or “doing verbs” is that the person has to be doing the action at the very moment, it’s being said. For example, if I say “I am eating” or “Estoy comiendo”, I would have to actually be eating right when I say it. In other words, if I say, “He is eating more lately”, I wouldn’t automatically use a “doing verb” or the “progressive tense”, because he isn’t necessarily eating, right now. 

Practice Session

To begin our practice session, first have someone say the phrases in English, and you say them out loud in Spanish.
I am dancing
Estoy bailando
He is drawing
Está dibujando
She is studying
Está estudiando
(Juan) Are you eating breakfast?
¿Estás desayunando?
Pedro is fixing the car
Pedro está arreglando el carro
(Mr. Garcia) You are helping a lot
Está ayundando mucho
We are jumping
Estamos saltando
They aren’t listening
No está escuchando
He is looking for his keys
Está buscando sus llaves
Are all of you painting the house?
¿Están pintando la casa?
I am practicing.
Estoy practicando
She is swimming
Está nadando